People and Society in the NSJV
The “People and Society” section consists of multiple subcategories containing a number of indicators on topics such as population trends and educational attainment.
Key findings for this section include the following:
- NSJV population grew 1.18% between 2015 and 2016, equating to another 18,000 new residents. The NSJV population is now more than 1.54 million.
- In 2016, both net domestic and international migration in the NSJV were positive for the third consecutive year.
- Over the next 45 years, we project NSJV population growth will average 1.02% annually. The NSJV population will exceed 2.4 million in 2060.
- Educational attainment in the NSJV is improving. Between 2010 and 2015 the NSJV had the second highest growth in human capital among 15 regions in California. However, the NSJV still ranks second lowest in human capital State-wide.
- There has been sustained improvement in numerous indicators of human capital development, including rising 3-4 year old’s school enrollment, high school graduation rates, third-grade math proficiency as well as proficiency in basic algebra. College readiness of NSJV high school graduates is also continuing its significant improvement during the past several years, but only a third of NSJV high school graduates are considered college ready.
- Despite intra-regional variations, recent sustained increases in the region’s violent crime rate is an issue of concern.