People and Society in the NSJV
The “People and Society” section consists of multiple subcategories containing a number of indicators on topics such as population trends and educational attainment.
Key findings for this section include the following:
- The NSJV population grew 1.31% between 2014 and 2015, equating to another 20,000 new residents. The NSJV population is now more than 1.53 million.
- In 2015, both net domestic and international migration in the NSJV were positive for the second consecutive year.
- Over the next 45 years, we project NSJV population growth will average 1.18% annually. The NSJV population will exceed 2.6 million in 2060.
- Educational attainment in the NSJV is improving. Between 2000 and 2015 the share of the adult population with a bachelor’s degree or higher level of education increased from 13.7% to 17.2%, while the share with less than a high school degree decreased by 6.4%. Nonetheless, a substantial gap education persists in comparison to the State and U.S. average.
- There has been sustained improvement in numerous indicators of human capital development, including rising high school graduation rates, third grade reading and math proficiency as well as proficiency in basic algebra. College readiness of NSJV high school graduates has also improved significantly over the past several years, but there is still less than a third of NSJV high school graduates that are considered college ready.
- Despite intra-regional variations, overall felony offense rates in the NSJV continued to decline, but a recent increase in the region’s violent crime rate is an issue of concern.